Sunday 21 September 2008

L'arte d'arrangiarsi

The Italians have a saying "l'arte d'arrangiarsi", which translates to the art of making something out of nothing.

For the most part, I've heard this saying used as one would use "making a mountain out of a molehill".

But, when I read Elizabeth Gilbert's incredible Eat, Pray, Love (a book for everyone to relish), she provided a new perspective on the expression - and of course, it has to do with food. She explains that Italians have a knack (an art) to make an incredible meal out of few basic (nothing) ingredients.

There is no food that more exemplifies l'arte d'arrangiarsi than pizza.

In preparation of our upcoming move, I spent the day packing up my kitchen. In doing so, I discovered several foodstuffs that if I didn't use quickly, I'd have to loose them. These included: an envelope of rapid rise yeast, half a zucchini, a sliver of an onion, half a jar of artichoke hearts and a spoonful of capers. Literally, a handful of nothingness.

Add to this some bread flour, a few spices and a can of tomatoes and voila... a satisfying meal after a hard days work.

Now, if I only knew where I packed that corkscrew, I could have enjoyed a glass of wine with dinner.

No comments: