Wednesday 1 October 2008

Breakfast in the Park

This morning before heading into work, I decided to take a moment for myself.

Before I proceed, let me first say, I'm not one who has time in the morning for such leisure. I am of the belief that time works against me. No matter how early I awake, I'm usually flying out the door half clothed, half make-up'd with an armload of essentials like house keys, shoes for the office, and of course, my pre-breakfast snack.

But, this morning was different. I was recently promoted to a new role at work and today was officially my first day on the job. Plus, and this part makes me just giddy with excitement, as a result of my new role, I've been transferred to our brand-spanking-new office near Bryant Park in Manhattan.

I awoke excited and didn't mind having to descend to the ovens that house the trains that take me to work. And I felt my excitement grow as I ascended the station steps nary half a block from my new office tower.

Once at street level, I felt New York City bless me with an energy that I've missed for the past 15 months while working in Queens.

So, this morning, it being a bright and cool fall morning, I decided to prolong the good vibes before I become, once again, my usual curb-enraged speed walker.

I stopped at 'Wichcraft for a healthy breakfast. Born from chef mastermind Tom Colicchio, 'Wichcraft elevates the sandwich (hence its namesake) to a new level by offering wholesome, local products and creating gourmand-friendly fare.

Over the past few years, the chain has expanded its menu options to include Coffee & Pastry, Soups & Salads, and Ice Cream.

In Bryant Park, 'Wichcraft has segregated its offerings into portable-looking huts that are scattered around the park. This morning, I went to the Coffee & Pastry stand and ordered a Greek yogurt with granola and honey. I then took a seat at one of the bistro tables to enjoy my breakfast while watching the tail end of a bocci game.

The honey was richly sweet and it balanced the sourness of the creamy yogurt. The granola added a great crunch. But, they added an incredibly healthy helping of plump, juicy raisins to the mix. This wouldn't be a problem if I enjoyed or even mildly liked raisins, but truth be told I can't stand these shriveled, would be, could be, should be grapes.

I ate around the raisins as best I could, but in the end, I had to give up and I headed into the office. Maybe not a completely satisfying start to this new chapter, but a healthy one nonetheless!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just as I get a new job down in Gramercy, you move to Bryant Park! :) I loved 'Wichcraft in the park...