Saturday 23 May 2009

Breakfast of Champions


My brother, Big D, loves breakfast. It has to be his favourite meal of the day. Give him steak and eggs, throw some starch in there, like hashbrowns or toast, add some juice or milk and he's a happy, happy man.

All through childhood and into adulthood - I'm sure if we still lived together he'd still be at it - he'd scold me for my poor breakfast regime. During the work week, I like cereal, or if I'm on the run, a piece of bread with a thin layer of peanut butter will do me fine.

But, on weekends, I enjoy splurging. This glorious morning - finally summer is truly upon us as is the pollen, but I digress - I went out for a long jog up to and along the waterfront. I returned home refreshed, energized and absolutely famished.

So, to reward myself, I decided to make French toast. To make it a little extra special, I added a teaspoon of vanilla extract and a pinch of sugar to my salt-and-cayenne pepper seasoned scrambled eggs. I used thick slices of grain bread for added texture. To round off the meal, I added sliced bananas and topped it all off with syrup.

It was slightly sweet, slightly crunchy and mighty delish! Big D would be proud!

No comments: