Monday 13 July 2009

Timmies in NYC

The other day, a friend and fellow Canadian shared the news that Tim Hortons was coming to Manhattan. With a squeal and a fist pump we screeched our favourite donut flavour. Maple glazed for her, chocolate-chocolate dipped for me.

As excited as I was, I thought this was a far off plan. Well, this morning I was informed that Tim Hortons opened 12 locations in New York City - today! The news made my day and the hours couldn't pass by quick enough until I could run out and get me a genuine Timmie donut!

I'm not a coffee drinker, but I am a donut eater. For the past 5 years, I've been nothing but disappointed by American donuts. They are either dry with a sandy-like texture or oozing with sugar that your teeth hurt.

To compensate for all that I'm missing, my first stop when visiting Toronto is Tim Hortons. I've even pathetically asked friends visiting from Toronto to bring a dozen donuts with them. I'd usually eat one (or two) and then freeze the rest to enjoy for a later date.

But, now I can get a fresh donut whenever the craving hits! Before heading back home tonight, I picked up a half-dozen donuts.

While the donuts tasted just like the ones I pick up north of the border, the Tim's I went to was missing a key ingredient - good ol' Canadian hospitality. After informing the server that I'd be getting a half dozen donuts, I then asked if they had the maple glazed available. The question was responded with a sneer and a "What do you want?" Who would've thunk you needed to use the word "donut" after naming each flavor when ordering a half-dozen donuts in a donut shop! As stunned as I was by the rude customer service, it appeared I wasn't alone in the onslaught. Another poor Canuck, who was excitedly ordering his "Iced Cap" was scolded for not being clear. To respond to such rude service, the Canuck pointed to the huge Iced Cap advertisement hanging above the server's head and said very loudly, very slowly and very firmly, "Iced Cap".

No comments: