Monday 15 April 2013

Days like today


There are days like today, when I hear about the bombings in Boston, or like the day of the Newton massacre or like the so many other horrid things that happen every day around the world, that I’m left gutted, confused.

With each dreadful event, I first think of the people who are suffering – the victims, their families and friends, and those who had to experience first-hand the monstrous side of humanity – and send my thoughts out to the universe to watch over them.

My second thought is always a one-worded question: why. With that tiny word my thoughts veer to my children and the day they will ask me the same unanswerable question. I grieve and fear that day.

At three years and 19 months old, the worst thing in their world is being sent to bed without reading a book together. We have created a happy, safe world where we dance in the mornings and sing at night. A world where, according to their mamma’s hushed whispers upon awakening from a nightmare, monsters aren't real.

But monsters are real and they make their presence known all too often these days.

How can we as parents prepare for that day, that question, that conversation, and worse yet, the changed look in their eyes that signals to you that they now see the world differently?

I don’t have an answer today and it’s likely that when (sadly, not if) that day comes I won’t be ready then either. My only hope is that I can muster up the courage and sensitive wits to respond to their questions openly and honestly without completely shattering them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What an insightful post - thank you for expressing exactly what I've been thinking over the last little while. Why...how on earth do these things happen...why? As a soon to be Mom, I can't even wrap my head around trying to explain things that don't even make sense, let alone make sense to me.

Beautifully written - and if you figure it out - please let the rest of us know.