Wednesday 29 October 2008

At Last: A Meeting with Greatness

I made my way further uptown earlier this evening to visit the infamous Barneys New York for a book signing event. As I stood beneath the red awning before entering, I felt my heart skip a beat. I couldn't believe that I was so close to meeting my food idol.

Taking a deep breath, I walked in and made my way to the men's department. Before I could wonder if I was in the right place a server with a tray of champagne in flute glasses strode by. I quickly assessed the area and found the stack of the spotlighted cookbook.

Laying my hand on the hardcover, taking in the bright imagery and flipping through the pages to feel the luxuriousness of the paper (I absolutely love books), I lifted my head and there, but a few meters away, stood Mr. Mario Batali, promoting his newest production: Spain...A Culinary Road Trip.

I've been a fan of his before I knew I was a foodie. I remember looking through his cookbook my mother kept on her shelf and I found myself watching his show during my days off in university. Shortly after coming to New York, I was swept up into the foodie world and became a follower. But, my fascination, nay obsession, really set in after my first meal at Babbo.

Babbo is my ultimate favourite restaurant and Batali's flagship restaurant located in the West Village. Akin to a religious experience, I remember walking into the small, bustling, casual dining room and thinking "this is going be to really good".

And (oh my goodness! oh my goodness!) was it! I still remember my first taste of the black spaghetti with rock shrimp, spicy salami calabrese and green chiles. Truly gastronomically orgasmic. So much so, that the several times we've revisited, I've order the dish as an appetizer - just so I can relive the experience.

Ever since that first meal, I've wanted to meet Batali. Now, let me tell you, I'm not usually impressed with celebrity and less so with the social elite (yet, here I was at a book signing in the middle of Barneys! Where, I might add, I was shi-shi'd and poo-poo'd by all the plastic pretty people wearing too-big-for-their-faces glasses (at night and indoors!) as they sipped their free drink and munched on the free food like common folk like me!).

I wasn't here to simply say I met Batali and am now only two degrees of separation from Gwyneth, and more importantly, three degrees away from Coldplay frontman, Chris Martin. No, I simply wanted to meet the talent who could bring together ingredients so artistically, so sensually. And, I wanted to thank him for delighting my palate like no one else has.

Finally, today was my chance. And, I can't tell you how nervous I was! Looking over at him chatting with another fan, I felt my usual feisty-ness wash away. Timid and shy, I didn't know what to do with myself. What would I say? How would I say it?

So, instead of figuring it out, I decided to find that tray of champagne.

With flute in hand, I energetically sipped what I was told was champagne (stupidly, I asked the server what kind of champagne I was drinking and pausing so the drama of his deadpan, I'm-so-much-better-than-you look could take effect, he said, "champagne", rolled his eyes and walked away. I had an urge to remind him that he was serving me drinks, but I held my tongue.)

I then found a server carrying empanadas with chorizo, pancetta and peppers - an appetizer from the cookbook. They were yummy, but a little too salty. But, this only gave me an excuse for a second flute of the bubbly.

Feeling a little more confident, I made my way to Batali's altar to say hello. Shaking his hand, I introduced myself, handed him my newly purchased book and geekily told him I was a fan of his food. He scrawled my name, a note I can't decipher and his signature as we chatted. Finally, I asked if he had a moment for a picture. His reply: "Well, only if you join me." We chatted for a few more minutes, I thanked him for his time and then it was the next person's turn.

I left the store elated!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You met Mario, too! He's awesome. Met him once at an R.E.M. concert and have seen him multiple times at MY favorite restaurant, Babbo. :) To heck with the boys. You and I should go.