Friday 20 March 2009

An Evening in Gotham

Last night a friend invited me to join her at a charity dinner for the T. Howard Foundation. After listening to the speakers and report-outs from the overly enthusiastic interns, I realized that this organization really does do good work!

What really got me interested in the event - other than hanging with SL and GC, that is - was the venue - Gotham Hall in Herald Square. I pass this building daily on my way to and from the trains and I'm always trying to sneak a peak at the interior. Formerly the HQ for Greenwich Savings Bank, this building dates back to the 1920s and the architecture proves it. Roman columns, inlaid floor to ceiling marble - it was stunningly impressive. But, it was what was happening up above that left me awestruck. In the center of the gilded ceiling was a stained-glass skylight where an incredibly large chandelier hung.

If you're thinking of a wedding in NYC, I definitely recommend it!

So, on to the food. I will say the hors d'oeurvers were the highlight. The miniature smoked salmon on a pita with a mini dollop of tartar sauce were fantastic as were the ginger encrusted shrimp. The samosas with kiwi and mint sauce were a little weird for my liking - I was left with a rather unpleasant perfumed aftertaste in my mouth.

For dinner we started with fresh mozzarella, and red and yellow heirloom tomatoes. It being winter and all, the tomatoes were pretty good. The second course was beef tenderloin served medium to medium-rare with a layered potato and cheese tart. The beef was tender and juicy. The food was very well presented with a good balance of colour - well at least the non-vegetarian ones were.

Not a meat eater, GC asked for the vegetarian option, which looked sad, bland and absolutely unappetizing. The dish looked like something that came out of a soup kitchen rather than a caterer for a high-end ballroom - three disconnected portions were lined up upon the plate along with two puddles of loose gravy-type sauces. As I consoled him for being presented with such a sad meal, I offered, and he willingly accepted, my potato tart.

When are caterers going to realize that vegetarians - or in this case, non-red meat eaters - actually like to eat fresh, colourful foods that are nutritionally satisfying and taste bud friendly?

No comments: