Wednesday 1 April 2009

Yummy Bakery Goodness


Spring is finally upon us!

Over the weekend, we enjoyed our first outdoor jog of the season. It was a rough start, but it felt great to take in the fresh air instead of the staleness of the gym. As we were running through our new neighbourhood, we happened upon Dom's Bakery. It was pretty early and we noticed that all the Hoboken restauranteurs were lined up collecting their daily bread for their weekend diners. A sure sign that Dom was baking the good stuff.

Had I had some cash with me, I would have run home with a stick of bread. Instead, I made a second trip over. While in the bakery, I found these lovely pasteries - freshly made that morning and calling my name! Also picked up some bread, which I enjoyed mightily. Firm and rustic, just like I like it!

I've seen these treats in other Italian bakeries, but I don't know their name. The clerk didn't know either. The crust was flakey and the powdered sugar gave it a lovely sweetness. The custard inside was a little too dense for my liking, but that didn't stop me from enjoying the whole thing in one (very brief) sitting!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

sfogliatelle ...
http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=sfogliatelle&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=IuIqSvDqG5altgeUs_XCCA&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&resnum=4&ct=title