Sunday 1 March 2009

Shang Dreams

To celebrate a milestone anniversary (15 years of togetherness for Mr. Oh and I), we dined at Susur Lee's new New York restaurant, Shang.

Ever since hearing of his departure from Toronto to test his culinary genius in the restaurant capital of North America (if not the world), I have been itching to visit. I had intended to visit the week of its opening, but a scheduling conflict kept me away. But it was so worth the wait!

The decor was breath-taking. It was modern and simple with big, bold accessories like the massive bamboo-like chandelier hanging in centre of the room. After enjoying an amazing meal, I realized that the decor graciously reflected the style of Lee's food - simple, elegant with incredible bursts of flavour!

The menu was amazing, offering a wide assortment of vegetarian, meat and seafood dishes. And as a result I was left unable to make a decision as to what to eat - I wanted to give just about everything a try (except those dishes with fois gras and pototoes). Mr. Oh found himself in the same position.

Realizing our predicament, our server asked if we wanted to create a tasting menu so we could try multiple dishes from the menu. Noticing Lee walking around the room - the crafty Mr. Oh asked if the chef could select a menu for us, to which we were told "of course!"

We provided our food restrictions and off she went to discuss with Lee himself. At this point, I reverted to a child on Christmas morning whoopened up the gift she's wanted more than anything in the whole wide world. My insides were bursting with sheer glee! And, had it been socially acceptable for me to leap out of my chair and bound Tigger-like around the dining room, screaming as I did when I was 12 at my first NKOTB concert, I would have.

Instead, I sat incredibly still in my chair and cried! Yes, I too was surprised by the reaction!

The menu selected was incredible, and again, if it wasn't socially taboo, I would have licked every bowl clean! As we enjoyed each course (there were five, plus dessert), I anticipated the moment when Lee would visit our table. Finally he sidled up to our table and very quietly asked how we were enjoying our meal. Starstruck, which seems to be case when I'm around chefs, I mumbled something inaudible and unmemorable.

I was utterly disappointment in myself for relinquishing another opportunity to express my gratitude for the meal, and to ask Chef Lee if he could be my friend so I could delight regularly in his food and maybe learn a trick or two from the master himself. So, to give me another chance by bringing the chef back to our table, Mr. Oh asked our server if we could have a photo with the Lee.

Humbled by the request, Lee returned to our table to pose with us - and again, I lost my courage, smiled at the camera and before slinking back down to my chair I mumbled something inaudible and unmemorable!

I may not have been memorable to Lee, but the menu he presented certainly was. Here are a few photos of our meal (I was enjoying my meal too much to photograph our first two courses - the yellowtail tuna sashimi with pickled artichoke hearts that were sprinkled with salmon eggs; and the slaw salad with plum vinaigrette - but they were beautifully presented).


Chorizo topped scallops, upon a rice pancake and wrapped in banana leaf.


My favourite dish of the evening - tender sable topped with whole rock shrimp sitting on a rice cake with juicy mushrooms

Juicy lamb chops with plantain bananas

For dessert I had the lemon tart with berry compote. The decorative flower was actually a berry fruit roll-up. At times the berry was a little overpowering, but the lemon tart was flakey and yummy.

Mr. Oh ordered the vanilla bean ice cream, served with fresh berries. The blackberries were plump, juicy and just incredibly tasty!


Our photo with Chef Susur Lee!!

1 comment:

Dolce said...

I can't believe you cried, that is too funny. You are just like Rana banana, so emotional! Sounds like a great evening. xo