Thursday 10 September 2009

Road Trip

We enjoyed an extra-long weekend visiting family and friends in Toronto. To get there, we packed up the car and headed Northwest. Usually, I pack a homemade picnic to save us from having to consume the overprocessed, fastfood offerings found along our route.

Unfortunately, this time around I didn't have the time to prepare a meal for our trip and my picnic basket only held several bottles of water and a small bunch of grapes. So, we were forced to dine at one of the truck stop food chains -- Roy Rogers, McDonald's, Burger King, and so on. After several hours, we were hungry and running out of gas, so left the highway and pit-stopped at Burger King.

As I munched on my heat-lamp warmed chicken nuggets and deep-trans fat-fried onion rings, I reminisced back to the truck stop food we found while driving through Italy.

Instead of the greasy joints found along America's highways, Autogrill populates the rest stops along the Autostrada - Italy's main motorway. The selection offered here was just incredible. With Autogrill, I had the choice of freshly squeezed orange juice, yummy pastries and delectable sandwiches.

One of my favourites was the prosciutto, arugula, mozzarella panino. It was fresh and satisfying and what's more, it didn't leave me feeling as if I've injected toxins into my system!

No comments: